Sunday, September 12, 2010

A True Friend Is Rare.

Hello loves. It's been a minute. TOO long of a minute. It feels good to be back. The next chapters are in the final stages of being sent the beta, so hopefully depending on her sched, we might be posting next week. Be prepared for quite a bit of changes to the story! Swan and I are anxious to finish this bad boy. Ahem speaking of bad boy, I heard round' the bush Miamiward and Irreconcilable Differences have gotten nominated for quite a few things. Big kudos and thank you to all who nominated us, it means so much!

Swan isn't even aware I'm writing this post, and to be quite honest she's probably going to kick my ass when she realizes it's here, but I really don't give a hoot.

Quite a few of you have been wanting to know what's been going on .. and I have a wee bit to get off my chest too :)
A week after our last post, my husband went into the hospital with what he thought was (and was being told by doctors) acid reflux. On May 20th they admitted him into the hospital after running several blood tests, and finding out his condition was a little more severe than what they had orginally thought. By 6pm the tests came back to reveal he had pancreatitis. Friday morning, I went to work hoping to get through the day as quickly as possible, not thinking my life was about to be turned around more than it had been. I got laid off due to corporate downsizing and on the way back to the hospital in tears I called Swan. By the time I had gotten back to the hospital, the doctors had pulled me aside, telling me my husbands condition was worse than they had expected. His condition was Necrotizing Pancreatitis (I could go into some heavy duty explaination here, but I'll just say it's where your pancreas decides it just wants to 'eat' itself). As if that wasn't bad enough, his kidneys and liver were starting to fail.

Within hours and without any explaination Swan was at the hospital. (We live approx 5 hours from eachother) When others cringed at his sickness (pancreatitis is not pretty by any means), Swan just sat in his room, cracked jokes and made him smile.

By Saturday morning the doctors were telling us to prepare for funeral arrangements, that he was in renal failure, his pancreas was basically finished, and his white blood cell count was off the charts, much too high to control. They told me his only chance was to have him transferred to a more sufficient hospital, or basically watch him die within days.

Saturday we transferred to one of the largest hospitals in the area, by Saturday night they had induced coma, in which he remained for nearly 2 1/2 weeks. During this time his heart had stopped several times, eventually leading them to put in a temporary pacemaker. He had to go through 6 rounds of dialysis to restart his kidneys. He had interal bleeding into his stomach cavity and was given 8 units of blood. He went into respiratory failure and had to have a full tracheostomy. He also have a severe case of pneumonia and a collapsed lung. (Basically anything shitty that could have happened .. happened.)

The hubs spent a total of 50 days in the hospital. He is at home now, and is doing well, however we still have a long road. He is due for surgery in October and will spent another week or so in the hospital, before he is released to rest at home again. Another month or two of recovery at home .. and then hopefully we will be home free afterwards.
I can't even express in words how much Swan means to me. During the hubs stay in the ICU, overnight accommodations weren't the best. She slept right next to me on the hard floor and more often than not we were lucky to get a few hours of snooze time here and there. She wouldn't complain when we would go to bed at 4am and the hospital staff would turn on the lights at 7am. We were running on cafeteria food and tons of coffee. She would drive me back and forth to the hospital, and sometimes we'd stay for several days at the hospital without returning to my home. Taking a shower in the hospitals 'special' rooms were weird .. and gross. Instead of bitching, she would just laugh.

During the day while I was back in the hubs room, sometimes for hours, Swan would sit outside in the waiting room. I can't even begin to tell her how big of a comfort it was just to know she was there. There were nights when I would come from his room puffy faced and teary eyed and without word Swan would understand.

They always say when you go through hard times your true friends stick by your side. I've lived 27 years on this earth and I don't think I have ever found a more true friend than Swan. She's perfect, beautiful on the inside and out. I can't even begin to thank her for everything she's done for me. She continues to amaze me and I'm so thankful she was brought into my life. (Thank you to my sexy Rob Patt for 'introducing' us!) She's beautiful, inside and out. I am lucky to call her a friend. Someday I can only hope to be there for her as much as she has for me.

I <3 you always. Much love BBs.
See you in Miami loves!
-AnonyCullen.

0 comments: